The United States is far from the worst violator of human rights, but neither is it the Shining City on the Hill that many take it to be. See what you make if this:
- America, where people get into a frenzy about personal freedom when someone wants to limit the maximum size of soda cups, and yet consistently accept world record incarceration rates.
- America, where felons can more quickly recover their right to bear arms than their right to vote.
- America, where white people with a criminal record are more likely to get a callback after a job interview than black people without a criminal record.
- America, where the depiction of naked people making love is less a matter of free speech than the depiction of people killing each other.
- America, where the right to life of the unborn is more important than the right to life of the living.
- America, where the courts express themselves on issues such as the appropriate hotness of coffee but remain strangely silent about the extra-judicial execution or torture of U.S. citizens.
- America, the “land of opportunity”, has less social mobility than many of the so-called ”socialist” countries of Europe.
- America, where the Supreme Court has decided that anyone can be strip-searched upon arrest for any offence whatsoever – this is the same Supreme Court that doesn’t allow its proceedings to be televized.
And then remember that a large majority of countries is even worse than this. Have a nice day.